Skip to main content

Remembering and Honoring Those in the Military and Civil Service



May 24, 2015


Memorial Sunday and Pentecost
at our beautiful 
New Sharon United Methodist Church in Hillsborough



The musical Prelude: To Our Beloved Country, Gertrude Haupt Richolson on tune "America" by Henry Carey; and the Introit: by the Choir, Let Our Earth Be Peaceful; Flag Processional and Taps

Pledge of Christian Allegiance: I pledge allegiance to the Cross and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands; One Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again, with life and liberty to all who believe.

Pledge of Allegiance: I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The Christian Flag was carried by Veteran Robert A. Shubert, U.S. Army; the American Flag carried by Technical Sergeant Christopher Sykes, USAF Security Forces 

Pastor Kong's Message was entitled The Ultimate Sacrifice.

There was a time to remember and honor those in the military and civil service.


My husband, Bob, was very honored when Pastor Kong asked him to take part in the service and carry the Christian flag in the Processional. I had every intention of making photographs of he and Chris, who was in his uniform, and looked awesome; however, I was so overcome with emotion I totally forgot. The music and the somber feeling of the moment made me so proud of both of them, I was back in 1964, in the years when so many of our young men and women were going to Vietnam. Shubert was in the middle of the Kennedy assassination and the Cuba Crisis and served in the 303rd ASA BN in Texas.
PFC Robert A. Shubert, U.S. Army, 1962



 Robert A. Shubert, 2012


 Technical Sergeant Christopher Sykes, USAF Security Forces
with his wife, Kelley Sykes and their family, May 24, 2015


It seems Chris and his young family have spent their entire lives dedicated to the service of our country! He has been active duty for 16 years and in the reserves for the last 5. I am sure it is with a mixture of feelings that he plans to retire this year. That's 20 years of service ~ active and reserve. He had four tours to the middle east ~ 1 to Iraq and 3 to Kuwait. Serving as USAF Security Forces we are all proud of Chris and his love of home and country. He has a large family at New Sharon who is equally glad that he is home and serving here. Below he is shown with his "biggest fans!"


Thank you to all who serve, have served, and did serve. Freedom is not free.



SOURCES:
Photographs: Flags, http://www.flickr.com/usnationalarchives/. accessed May 25, 2015.

New Sharon United Methodist Church Cemetery, Digital Format, Original photographs taken and belonging to Judith Richards Shubert, Copyright 2015.

Shubert, Robert, Privately owned by Robert Shubert, Digital format used with permission. Judith Richards Shubert March 15, 2012.

Sykes, Technical Sergeant Christopher USAF Security Forces, Privately owned by Chris Sykes, Digital format used with permission. Judith Richards Shubert May 25, 2015.

Copyright 2015; Judith Richards Shubert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gailey Cousin Christmas Tree Tradition

Most of my family reunions and get-togethers have been centered around holidays or special events. It's hard to pick out a special personality (we have several - as I'm sure most of you do) and I've thought about all of the pets we've had in the past, the special heirlooms that grandma loved to display during the holidays and I'm really having a hard time coming up with a single one.

My aunt Irene and uncle Raymond always had the big get-togethers at their house, because it was the largest, had acres of pecans trees to play under and they had the most grandchildren! Of course, all of that was later, after all six of us cousins had grown up and had children of our own.

Thinking of Christmas, my mind keeps going back to the time before I moved into Grandma and Doc's home and we celebrated at our house. I remember getting a beautiful bride doll one Christmas. Wish I still had that doll. Have no idea where she traveled to after she got married. And then there was o…

January River of Small Stones - Jan 5, 2012

Acrostic: Bobby
BOBBY


Bushy brows draw together as the old man draws paint Over the wood – he tried to make his shaking hand glide smoothly. Both the paint and the brush left a squiggly line, By the look of his face You knew he was not pleased with his efforts.
January 5, 2012

My Home Town by Dorothy Hansen

My Home Town

For thirty years this California town
has been the place where I have slept at night,
and shopped, and worked, and driven about.

But home is where my childhood feet
ran bare on Texas clay …
on streets that were like arteries
to all the lives I loved and shared.

Now, as storm clouds gather in November
and leaves are on the ground,
these asphalt streets and stranger’s cars
seem even more remote.

I long to live where I am known,
and my grandparents, too …
where all the folks I meet each day
know just where I belong.

They’ve known my folks and relatives.
They’ve seen me go through school.
I have a place on Texas soil
in the town where I was born.

It is my home, belongs to me,
and I yearn for a hearth that’s gone.

From Dorothy Hansen's “Cedar Berries,” her collection of poems about Texas.


Dorothy Lee Hansen wrote this poem about my home town of Mineral Wells, Texas. She was born there in 1925 and is of my mother's generation. From what I have read about her she was full of life…