Skip to main content

Rest In Peace ~ J. D. Richards


J. D. Richards
Born December 28, 1924 in Whitt, Parker County, Texas
Died January 11, 2013 in Weatherford, Parker County, Texas

Nine years younger than his oldest sibling, Iwanda, and fifteen years older than the youngest, Richard Edwin, J. D. was one of eleven children born to my grandparents, John Robert Richards and Willie Laura Homsley.

I remember when I was younger (much younger), I would hear or see a plane overhead and cry out, “there’s Uncle J. D.!” I had no idea whether or not he was a pilot, a navigator, or infantry, but in my childish mind he was flying directly overhead in his sharp uniform.

He told me later that he had been wounded along with others while in the Pacific. I will research his military service and place it here for you soon.

J. D. suffered from Alzheimer's disease and his children and all of his nieces and nephews missed his quick wit and family stories. His daughter, Cathy, told us that he “got his angel wings” about 8:15 P.M. on Friday evening, January 11, 2013. He was the last of his brothers and sisters to go home for his heavenly reward. We will all miss you, Uncle J. D.

Please feel free to leave your memories and comments here on this post to be shared with his family.

SOURCES:
PHOTOGRAPH
Richards, J. D., original belonged to Johnny and Betty Richards, digital format by Judith Richards Shubert.

Read: Remembering Richards Men on Memorial Day

Comments

Unknown said…
It was good to visit tonight with Cathy and Benita and Jeff and their kids and grandkids. Sad that the death of a loved one is often the only thing that brings us all back together.

Glad that Uncle J.D.'s suffering is over and that he is reunited with loved ones gone before and no longer knows any pain or suffering.

Popular posts from this blog

A Gailey Cousin Christmas Tree Tradition

Most of my family reunions and get-togethers have been centered around holidays or special events. It's hard to pick out a special personality (we have several - as I'm sure most of you do) and I've thought about all of the pets we've had in the past, the special heirlooms that grandma loved to display during the holidays and I'm really having a hard time coming up with a single one.

My aunt Irene and uncle Raymond always had the big get-togethers at their house, because it was the largest, had acres of pecans trees to play under and they had the most grandchildren! Of course, all of that was later, after all six of us cousins had grown up and had children of our own.

Thinking of Christmas, my mind keeps going back to the time before I moved into Grandma and Doc's home and we celebrated at our house. I remember getting a beautiful bride doll one Christmas. Wish I still had that doll. Have no idea where she traveled to after she got married. And then there was o…

January River of Small Stones - Jan 5, 2012

Acrostic: Bobby
BOBBY


Bushy brows draw together as the old man draws paint Over the wood – he tried to make his shaking hand glide smoothly. Both the paint and the brush left a squiggly line, By the look of his face You knew he was not pleased with his efforts.
January 5, 2012

My Home Town by Dorothy Hansen

My Home Town

For thirty years this California town
has been the place where I have slept at night,
and shopped, and worked, and driven about.

But home is where my childhood feet
ran bare on Texas clay …
on streets that were like arteries
to all the lives I loved and shared.

Now, as storm clouds gather in November
and leaves are on the ground,
these asphalt streets and stranger’s cars
seem even more remote.

I long to live where I am known,
and my grandparents, too …
where all the folks I meet each day
know just where I belong.

They’ve known my folks and relatives.
They’ve seen me go through school.
I have a place on Texas soil
in the town where I was born.

It is my home, belongs to me,
and I yearn for a hearth that’s gone.

From Dorothy Hansen's “Cedar Berries,” her collection of poems about Texas.


Dorothy Lee Hansen wrote this poem about my home town of Mineral Wells, Texas. She was born there in 1925 and is of my mother's generation. From what I have read about her she was full of life…