Monday, January 17, 2011

Ancestral Roulette: William R. Cook

I’m very late joining this party – the Saturday Night Genealogical Fun (SNGF) party brought to us each week by Randy Seaver.  The week of January 11, Randy challenged us with Ancestral Name List Roulette:
1) How old is one of your grandfathers now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your “roulette number.”
2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an “ahnentafel”). Who is that person?
3) Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the “roulette number.”

My ancestor that is my "roulette number" is William R. Cook, noted on my uncle's genealogical chart only as Bill Cook. I know very few facts about my great-great-grandfather. But Randy's Roulette game has encouraged me to discover more than these few things.
  • William R. Cook married Mary Ann Province in Sabine Parish, Louisiana, on April 10, 1860.
  • In 1880 he was listed as the head of house with Mary and three daughters, Anna, Alice, and Mary L. living in Toro, Sabine Parish, Louisiana. Their daughter, Alice, was my great-grandmother that moved to Texas and then ultimately to Oklahoma.
  • William or "Bill", as my family called him, was my great-great-grandfather.

1 comment:

An LDS Perspective said...

Hi Judy, this may not be the right place and I am not sure if you are the same Judy Richards who left a message on a gen forum many years ago but if you are pls reply to me regarding the Barley family of Herts England. My name is Richard Cairns and email address nordicwestern@gmail.com.
Thanks and kind regards

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert