Friday, June 5, 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday - Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall New York City
Radio City Music Hall
New York City

Postcard is 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
458 Radio City Music Hall, New York City
Alfred Mainzer, Inc., 39-33 29th St., Long Island City I, N. Y.
Stamp box printed with C1910
Card was never mailed.


"When the stock market crashed in 1929, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. held a $91 million, 24-year lease on a piece of midtown Manhattan property properly known as "the speakeasy belt." Plans to gentrify the neighborhood by building a new Metropolitan Opera House on the site were dashed by the failing economy and the business outlook was dim. Nevertheless, Rockefeller made a bold decision that would leave a lasting impact on the city's architectural and cultural landscape. He decided to build an entire complex of buildings on the property-buildings so superior that they would attract commercial tenants even in a depressed city flooded with vacant rental space. The project would express the highest ideals of architecture and design and stand as a symbol of optimism and hope.

More than 300 million people have come to the Music Hall to enjoy stage shows, movies, concerts and special events. There's no place like it to see a show or stage a show. Everything about it is larger than life.

Radio City Music Hall is the largest indoor theatre in the world. Its marquee is a full city-block long. Its auditorium measures 160 feet from back to stage and the ceiling reaches a height of 84 feet. The walls and ceiling are formed by a series of sweeping arches that define a splendid and immense curving space. Choral staircases rise up the sides toward the back wall. Actors can enter there to bring live action right into the house. There are no columns to obstruct views. Three shallow mezzanines provide comfortable seating without looming over the rear Orchestra section below. The result is that every seat in Radio City Music Hall is a good seat."




Participate in Postcard Friendship Friday
hosted by
Marie Reed
Cpaphil Vintage Postcards



Sources:

17 comments:

Debby said...

This is a great card, thanks for sharing. Happy PFF!
Debby

Sheila said...

A very interesting card. Radio City sounds an incredible place.

Margo said...

Judy, what a great card. Thanks for the history as well. Hope you have a great PFF!

Terry said...

Hi Judith
What a fabulous postcard and great information.
I have never been and did not really know much about it.
I thought I did ,until I read your post today .
We are so fortunate it was built.
Thank you for sharing .
Happy Postcard Friendship Friday.
Have a fantastic weekend.
Happy Trails

Daryl said...

I am SO laughing ... next Friday I have the identical card posting .. but mine was mailed and has a funny story behind it .. stop by next PFF to see it .. this week the card I posted is a little naughty!

viridian said...

I like the history. Maybe one PFF we Americans could do a NYC theme?

Teresa said...

Nice card and thanks for the history. Maybe I'll get a chance to visit one day.

Marie Reed said...

This is such a treasure! Radio City Hall has always held a special place in my heart and imagination! It's a blast to see it in postcard form! Happy PFF! How are you doing?

Aimee said...

Great card! I've always wanted to go to New York! I'd love to see Radio City in person!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks everyone! It's always been a dream of mine to just visit New York. A trip to the "Hall" would be an extra added plus.

Marie, I'm doing just find, especially when I see so many wonderful friends stop by and "Feed my Blog" with their comments! Do come again.

Kirby3131 said...

I would love to to NYC and see this. I didn't know that it was built by that Rocker fella :)

Postcardy said...

I like the way it shows the people on the street. You can even see some of them moving.

Postcardy said...

I like viridian's idea--let's post New York cards next week if you have them.

imajica said...

in Kuala Lumpur I get to see music show in the philharmonic hall.. it's great!
nice postcard here :)
Happy PFF!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

I love all of the comments! I'd love to see more New York postcards. Bring them on!

Kathy McCreedy said...

What an interesting postcard and I especially enjoyed the facts you provided to educate us! Love the history of the Rock, and especially love anything about NYC history. Thank you so much for sharing this great postcard and it's history with us! Oh, and thank you, btw, for stopping by my site and especially for taking the time to leave such a kind comment! I appreciate it!

Bob of Holland said...

A wonderful place and a beautiful card. I love old theatres, built like palaces, where thousands of people met to join an elaborate show or a great movie. Thanks for sharing.

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert