Skip to main content

Memories of Growing Up by Maedell Gailey Carlyle

Maedelle Gailey Carlyle
September 25, 1921 - October 13, 2005

When Vernell and Maedell (twins) were born, we were so small the Doctor left us on the bed saying we wouldn't live long. But Grandma Gailey (Elizabeth Brock Gailey) and Granny Simpson put us in shoeboxes and took over. They put small flannel gowns on us and gave us buttermilk and bathed us, etc. They kept us warm so we wouldn't take colds. We were born September 25, 1921, and then our sister, Irene, was born October 6, 1923.

On back of postcard photograph is written in Edna Gailey's handwriting:
Maedelle on left, Vernelle on right

The year we lived in the Newberry Community we lived in the first house down from the Church. Grandma and Grandpa Gailey lived in the last house on the road, which is named Newberry Road.

When we were big enough, Mother would make blackberry cobblers and we would take some to Grandpa and Grandma as blackberry cobbler was Grandpa's favorite. As the road was sandy we would run from shade to shade because we were barefooted (and the sand burned our feet).

Wesley, Jr., our cousin and Irene let the cows out at the barn and chased them down the road. Vernell let the pigs out. While chasing them she fell over some barbed wire fence and cut her leg.

Grandpa was always going to the creek and killing squirrels for us to eat. When we left for Oklahoma in 1926 from Parker County, Newberry Community, (we) went by to tell Grandpa and Grandma Gailey goodbye. Grandpa was laing on the cot and Grandma was in the rocker under the big oak tree in the front yard.

After we arrived in Oklahoma and got settled on Mr. Kirk's place on the highway to Oklahoma City. We started to school and had to walk through 2 sections, going through Mr. Wiggley's cloverfield and pasture to get to the main road.

Vernell and I were so small for our age they put us in the 2nd grade at times when the weather was cold and it snowed. Tim would start a fire in the ditch so we could warm, and classes had just started and a man came and said, "Someone set my cornfield on fire." None of us said a word! When it snowed, Mr. Wiggley would pick us up in the wagon.

In the summertime when we walked, we'd hear a car coming so we'd run and put sticks in the bridge cracks. It was people that lived in town. They stopped and turned around. We would run up the creek and watch them and wait until they left. Then we went on home.

We lived two different times on the Tankersley place. Our house had a tin roof and when it rained it sounded like it was hailing. There was a spring at the back that run the year around. That was where we got our water.

While there at this place all 3 of us got the measles. Mother put us all in the same bed and fixed the room as dark as night.

When we lived in the other house Mother was driving the Model T and us kids was with her. She ran an old man with his wagon and team off the road!

Mother walked in her sleep one night. Daddy woke up and as the moon was shining bright, he seen her going down toward the road. She had Jim Bob in her arms. He woke her up just before she fell in this big ditch.

As we were going to school one morning we had got down to the main road and we saw a big dog coming toward us. We got scared and turned around and went home. Mother said, "Turn around and go to school or I'll give each of you a dose of caster oil and put you to bed." SO we went to school.

There were so many storms in Oklahoma. Our house was blown off the foundation twice within 3 weeks. The first time as a storm was coming toward our house; Daddy had gone down to the barn and opened the gate so the stock could get in the barn. Daddy jumped the fence and had just got to the cellar door and had pulled the door down when it (tornado) struck. When it was over it (the house) was almost on the cellar. After putting the house back on the foundation, and after a week, there was another tornado and Daddy had put a shovel and pick in the cellar in case it (the house) landed on the door!

I almost forgot to tell about the time we went with Grandpa Puckett (Harvey V. Puckett) to pick cotton. We were at the pile of cotton and decided to smoke some grapevines. The cotton caught on fire and Grandpa got to the end of the row and said, "Oh, my God, they've set the cotton on fire!"

When we were in school and taking a test, Mr. Wilson discovered almost everyone had copied off each other. Me and two more that didn't copy the papers didn't get a spanking. He used a paddle; the girls kept their coats on and it didn't hurt so much.

One year when we lived on the Glover place we rode the school bus into Blanchard (to school). One evening as we got off the bus, Mother was looking for Jim Bob and he had hid under the house, as the house was up off the ground. When school started we all had to have shots for Typhoid, and they sent word that the (younger) children could take the shots also.

Mother brought Jim Bob to school and when he took the shot, the next week he took sick. I'm sure it was caused from the shot. He was sick for almost two weeks. We had a warning of his death. As we used lamps then, there wasn't any wind blowing, but the lamps went out as if the wind was blowing. Nine days after that he passed away. There was a knock (knocking sound) every night until he passed away. He passed away as we were getting off the school bus.

Judy, I've copied everything except "Memories of Growing Up" and I'd like to have them back, as I just don't feel like doing all that writing. If you want this in my handwriting, will you please copy them off? I enjoyed doing this for you. Now everything has been copied, including the pages Mother wrote, so I have them (originals).

P.S. Don't lose anything, or you'll be out of luck!

Written in her hand 1998
Maedell Gailey Carlyle

Original Pictures belonging to Judith Gail Richards Shubert


This is a very amazing blog! You have inspired me to do more with my own genealogy! I have tons of it but haven't put it together. I am going to send a link to your blog to my Relief Society President, she is our Ward Genealogist "Queen" she will love it! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, you are sweet!
Danelle, I'm pleased that you've enjoyed my blog. Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you've been inspired to put your genealogy records together. It's quite a challenge, isn't it? Tell your Ward Genealogist "Queen" that I'll be looking for her to stop by and visit!
Great story, and I just love that picture of the twins when they were babies! Thanks for sharing.
tipper said…
Judith-I loved this post-so neat!!

Popular posts from this blog


The Floyer name enters the already ancient 300 years of Homersley genealogy with William Homersley 1st x 9 Cousin of Garnett Holmes; (15th great grandson of Ade de Rowenwal, our common ancestor, and his daughter by an unknown wife, Margaret Homerlsey (1548-1597) who married Richard Flyer (1546-?) Hints, Stafford, England about 1571.

UK, Extracted Probate Records, London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 
NOTE: Margaret Homerlsey 1548-1597 is the 9th great grandaughter of Ade de Rowenwald.
They had a son, Ralph Flyor (3rd  x 5) 1572-1643, who resided at Oxford, England, married Margery Weston (1577-1609) England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906.

Ralph and Margery had four children; Richard, Francis, Mary, Lettice. 
Richard Flyor/Richard Floyer (29 Jul 1603 Hints, Stafford - 27 Aug 1679) married 21 Mar 1645 Manchester, Warwicke to Elizabeth Eleanor Babington (1618-1679) ; (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Ancestral File," databa…

Crazy Sign over Bankhead Highway

Main Street Showing Crazy Sign
Mineral Wells, Texas
The most famous street marker in the south.
Showing the 80 foot neon sign of the world-famous Crazy Crystals.
Baker Hotel in background.

This most unique sign has been one of my most enduring childhood memories. I was born in 1943 and it was there at that time, I'm sure, because there are other postcards or photographs that have been dated 1940. I got married in 1964, moved to Tennessee with my husband of a year, visited my hometown several times during the 25 years I lived away from Texas, and sometime during that time the sign was removed. I was so sick when I discovered the sign gone. I suppose progress has a way of doing that to you!

There are many websites that tell the story of the healing mineral waters of my hometown of Mineral Wells and the many wells and spas that drew thousands of visitors seeking the rejuvenating powers of these waters. You will find the story of their discovery and the subsequent growth of the town very in…

Doc Gailey and His Sisters

Gailey Children James Dolphus Gailey Grace Amanda Gailey Nellie Mae Gailey
Children of James Newton Gailey and Eleanor Elizabeth Brock Brock Community, Parker County, Texas

My grandfather, James Dolphus "Doc" Gailey, had two younger sisters whom he adored. Grace and Nell were doted on by him and his parents and they grew up so attached to one another, their sibling love and devotion was a thing to be admired. I feel it gave all of their children and grandchildren an example to learn from and a standard to strive for. It was always such fun when the aunts came to visit. Some of you may remember that Doc and Grandma raised me so I, more often than not, call my mother's aunts my aunts, when in reality they were my great-aunts. And my sisters and I would usually go with Doc and Grandma to the aunts' houses to visit, so I find myself remembering things about them that my 1st cousins do not.
All three of Jim and Elizabeth's children were born in the Brock community of Parker …