Friday, October 10, 2008

Henry Milton (Mitchell) Shubert - March 07, 1839-June 01, 1915

Back of Photo reads: Nancy Ann Shubert
Blaine Plemons, cousin
Henry Shubert

My search for the Shubert ancestors began with my husband’s great-great-grandfather, Henry “Mitt” Shubert. The search was compelling because my husband’s father told us he had come to the United States from Austria in 1842 when he was a small child. The combination of Austria and the name Shubert was intriguing enough to make me long to find proof of this, even though at the time I knew nothing of genealogy and researching various documents and census records.

The search led me to South Carolina and a Robert Shoebird and his wife, Lydia. My father-in-law had never seen a copy of any census and when I showed him the copy of the microfiche page where Robert and Lydia’s names appeared he nearly cried. He was amazed. He said, “There, that’s (Milton) my great-grandfather.” He knew and had already given me all of the other names of the children and parents that appeared in the census. I felt that was a pretty good indication that I had the right family. But, then again, I was new at genealogy.

This census record seemed to prove to us that Mitt was not born in Austria, but in Tennessee; that his father and mother were born in South Carolina, unless they fabricated a story for the census taker. I have not been able to track them further back than this 1850 census.

A photo given to my husband by Loma Schubert Rodgers has Blaine Plemons, "cousin", with Henry M. Shubert and Nancy Ann Parks Shubert. This could be the son of Nancy's daughter, Carrie, and L.M. Plemons. The photo shows Mitt in what the owner of the picture called his military uniform. He did serve in the Civil War with the Union Tennessee Volunteers.

Nancy Ann Parks Shubert was Henry’s second wife whom he married April 04, 1881 in Loudon County, Tennessee, after Henry’s first wife (my husband’s great-great-grandmother) Mornan Matilda Jenkins, died on November 03, 1878.

The 1890 Civil War Veterans census indicated that a Nancy A. was to receive benefits. Nancy A. was 10 years younger than Henry. Her daughter, Dialtha Parks, by her previous marriage to James Parks was married to Henry's son, Jacob Pearson Shubert. Another of Nancy's daughters, Carrie Parks, married L.M. Plemons.

My husband and I have spent many hours looking for information and learning about this very interesting family. Family tidbits picked up here and there to be shared with you as time goes by.

2 comments:

looking4ancestors said...

Greetings Judy,
Great photo of your hubby's ancestors. I love old photos. Looks like we'll get along just fine - I like old and new recipes, and family history, too!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

So glad you stopped by. Maybe we can share a recipe or two!

Judy

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert