Skip to main content

Judy's Beef Enchiladas


Do you love Mexican food? Do you sometimes crave the hot, spicy taste of enchiladas? I have the perfect recipe for enchiladas that I use every time one of my family members has that craving.

My younger sister also makes delicious enchiladas and her son requests them every year for his birthday dinner. She makes a wonderful green chili and cheese enchilada. They are a little more complicated; I usually opt for the quick and easy!

My mother's twin sister taught me how to make enchiladas at least 25 years ago. She said she always used El Paso brand tortillas, enchilada sauce and taco sauce. I prefer that brand, too, but if I can't find them in one of the local grocery stores I will use the brand available. My husband and I also prefer the mildest flavor of sauces; they can be found in Mild, Medium, and Hot. When I first started making these you could find the El Paso tortillas in a flat round can and that's what my aunt used. I haven't seen them in the grocery store lately. I substituted the bagged tortillas found in the bread section and they are great.

Ingredients

2 or 3 pounds ground hamburger (I prefer ground chuck)

2 small cans El Paso mild taco sauce

1 package of 24 corn tortillas

2 cans El Paso mild enchilada sauce

½ cup chopped onion

1 16-ounce bar sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Brown hamburger meat. Add 2 small cans taco sauce and cook slowly while preparing the tortillas.

Having tortillas and paper towels handy, I quickly dip tortillas one at a time in and out of hot oil in a heavy skillet. I use a pair of tongs to lift them out of oil. Then I place them on a paper towel to drain. I usually get 4 on a paper towel, and then place another paper towel on top, then another 4 tortillas, layering them until you have used all of the tortillas. It's important to dip them in and out of hot oil quickly to soften them. If you skip this step the tortillas will become too brittle while baking.

Let the tortillas cool slightly so you can handle them without burning your hands. Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons hamburger mixture and roll tortilla up. Place them in an oblong baking pan, such as a 13" x 9" x 2" Pyrex dish. After filling the dish, sprinkle chopped onion and shredded sharp cheddar cheese over rolled tortillas. Then pour 1 can mild enchilada sauce over all. Bake in a 350ยบ oven for approximately 20 minutes.

There will be too many enchiladas for 1 pan; place the overflow in a smaller baking dish and pour the second can of enchilada sauce over them.

This can be a little messy but it will help if you gather everything together before you start cooking. Also, don't get the oil too hot or it will begin to splatter and pop. Take your time!

I serve mine with a great salad and chips. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~


Also published by Judy Shubert at Associated Content। Related Posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Sign over Bankhead Highway

Main Street Showing Crazy Sign
Mineral Wells, Texas
The most famous street marker in the south.
Showing the 80 foot neon sign of the world-famous Crazy Crystals.
Baker Hotel in background.

This most unique sign has been one of my most enduring childhood memories. I was born in 1943 and it was there at that time, I'm sure, because there are other postcards or photographs that have been dated 1940. I got married in 1964, moved to Tennessee with my husband of a year, visited my hometown several times during the 25 years I lived away from Texas, and sometime during that time the sign was removed. I was so sick when I discovered the sign gone. I suppose progress has a way of doing that to you!

There are many websites that tell the story of the healing mineral waters of my hometown of Mineral Wells and the many wells and spas that drew thousands of visitors seeking the rejuvenating powers of these waters. You will find the story of their discovery and the subsequent growth of the town very in…

FLOYER Family

FLOYER
The Floyer name enters the already ancient 300 years of Homersley genealogy with William Homersley 1st x 9 Cousin of Garnett Holmes; (15th great grandson of Ade de Rowenwal, our common ancestor, and his daughter by an unknown wife, Margaret Homerlsey (1548-1597) who married Richard Flyer (1546-?) Hints, Stafford, England about 1571.

UK, Extracted Probate Records, London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 
NOTE: Margaret Homerlsey 1548-1597 is the 9th great grandaughter of Ade de Rowenwald.
They had a son, Ralph Flyor (3rd  x 5) 1572-1643, who resided at Oxford, England, married Margery Weston (1577-1609) England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906.



Ralph and Margery had four children; Richard, Francis, Mary, Lettice. 
Richard Flyor/Richard Floyer (29 Jul 1603 Hints, Stafford - 27 Aug 1679) married 21 Mar 1645 Manchester, Warwicke to Elizabeth Eleanor Babington (1618-1679) ; (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Ancestral File," databa…

Doc Gailey and His Sisters

Gailey Children James Dolphus Gailey Grace Amanda Gailey Nellie Mae Gailey
Children of James Newton Gailey and Eleanor Elizabeth Brock Brock Community, Parker County, Texas

My grandfather, James Dolphus "Doc" Gailey, had two younger sisters whom he adored. Grace and Nell were doted on by him and his parents and they grew up so attached to one another, their sibling love and devotion was a thing to be admired. I feel it gave all of their children and grandchildren an example to learn from and a standard to strive for. It was always such fun when the aunts came to visit. Some of you may remember that Doc and Grandma raised me so I, more often than not, call my mother's aunts my aunts, when in reality they were my great-aunts. And my sisters and I would usually go with Doc and Grandma to the aunts' houses to visit, so I find myself remembering things about them that my 1st cousins do not.
All three of Jim and Elizabeth's children were born in the Brock community of Parker …